Either that, or I'm that much more of a sexy beast today. Could happen.
The book is structured as a workbook, with exercises and encouragements to stop and reflect on stuff in your own life that ties into the topic at hand.
The first chapter talks about establishing some good habits, mentioning that once a habit's really taken hold, it's hard to change. That's bad for smokers, but good for you, once you've adopted some "positive emotional hygiene" habits (my phrase).
One thing he mentions is the value of maintaining a "gratification journal" - write down 5 things you're thankful for today. He cites some study which found that people that maintain that habit are happier (quantifiably so, as measured somehow that I can't recall right now, and the book's waaay over there).
So. I don't plan to make that a part of my LJ, I don't know if I'm going to actually stick to a daily ritual. However, I'm going to do it once, and if you like the idea, you can pass it on like a meme. Or, do it privately. In your head. Whatever. It's your happiness, you're in charge of it.
In no particular order, just a few things that I'm happy for right now:
- I'm thankful for Amazon - I got 3 packages on my doorstep today, including 2 books, and a pair of pants. Not all from Amazon, so I could extend that to online mail order in general. Yay, click and ship.
- I'm thankful for a job where I can work from home - opening my door at 11:30 am to find gifts on my doorstep is possible because I get to work where I live. That's nice. Plus, if I work late, I don't have to drive home groggy. If I want to work in pajamas until noon, I could. I don't, often - the showering and getting dressed is a good habit to put me in the work mindset.
- I'm thankful for Qdoba's taco salads - they're tasty and more healthful than a lot of stuff I might otherwise eat. I order them in a soft tortilla instead of the deep fried shell that they'd otherwise come in. Presumably healthier still. Healthfulier. You understand.
- I'm thankful for geeky friends whose company I enjoy and who enjoy my company - I'm gaming tonight with some buddies I haven't seen in a long while. There will be dice and pencils and paper. Nuff said.
- I'm thankful for online geeky friends whose writing I enjoy and who enjoy my writing - that's you folk. And I call you 'geeks' with love. I'm frequently amazed by the incredible people I know who I keep in touch with principally over the Internet. You guys rock.
(bonus: I'm thankful for International Talk Like a Pirate Day. Yarr!)
Tag. Be thankful. It's a beautiful day. Enjoy it.