?

Log in

No account? Create an account
yum upgrade failure - Blather, Rinse, Repeat
December 1st, 2008
08:49 am

[Link]

Previous Entry Share Next Entry
yum upgrade failure
Throwing this piece of information out to the web-spiders of the world. Perhaps someone else can benefit from my experience.


I'm upgrading my Fedora Linux systems, and I noticed that there was one package that was causing problems - I had a copy of Avahi from FC6 which hadn't got properly upgraded by the more-or-less automated processes. Or, doing more investigation, there was a (nearly) up-to-date version as well as the old version, both installed. The yum system should take care of that, and so it's not so surprising that once it's in the failure case, it's tricky to get it to remove the old copy.

I tried doing the obvious thing of yum remove avahi-blah-blah-fc6, which "succeeded", but the package was still installed. In fact, I could keep on issuing that remove command, which kept on "succeeding".

I tried rebuilding the RPM database, which also succeeded, but didn't change anything - the fc6 version of avahi was still around.

I tried rpm -e avahi-blah-blah-fc6, which complained about scriptlets failing (though no indication what a scriptlet is, or what the failure was). I then tried rpm -e --noscripts avahi-blah-blah-fc6 and that seemed to do the trick - the RPM database now no longer has a record of the old avahi, and I'm able to do a yum update just fine.

(2 comments | Leave a comment)

Comments
 
[User Picture]
From:rechercher
Date:December 1st, 2008 10:36 pm (UTC)
(Link)
It took me a while to realize that your title a)didn't have a comma between yum and upgrade b)wasn't sarcastic.
[User Picture]
From:tsmaster
Date:December 1st, 2008 10:59 pm (UTC)
(Link)
Yeah, as I was wrapping that up, I realized that it was pretty dense in (unpunctuated) commands which would be unintelligible to those not using Fedora or related Linux variants.

Suffice it to say, yum is a piece of software that installs, removes, and updates software packages on Fedora Linux. There was a piece of software that had somehow got updated to the latest version, but the old version wasn't completely uninstalled. All of the files seemed to be removed from the old version, but the database that kept track of who "owned" those files still thought they existed, which was causing subsequent upgrades from completing.

I googled for suggestions on how to solve my problem, but didn't get good hits. Perhaps I've included enough keywords here and in the original post that somebody that has the same problem in the future will see this and not have to try as many dead ends as I did.
My Website Powered by LiveJournal.com