One of these days, I'll get my act together - Blather, Rinse, Repeat
One of these days, I'll get my act together|
Or, more likely, not.
- I still don't have a LJ client on this machine (my home desktop machine). Last time I checked, the client that I use at work and on my laptop was mysteriously not on the FTP site where it had been before. It's OK, I can copy the plugin gizmo from my laptop to the desktop without too much difficulty - if I ever get around to it.
- There was a power outage in the neighborhood today. I swear, somewhere this entire community's power is routed through a pair of copper wires held together with a half twist and some optimism. Anybody even walks past them, and a couple hundred homes go dark.
- Side effect of power outage: my router (firewall, gateway, once upon a time these terms meant different things, once upon a time I knew the difference) reset itself to factory defaults. So I had to call my ISP to figure out what magic numbers to put in the various fields so I could talk to the internet again. When I say "my ISP", I mean "this guy named Peter". I love small ISPs.
- While I was doing configuration stuff anyway, I opened up the https and imaps ports so that I can store Dad's email here, so the shenanigans (no relation to Cassie, sorry) that his ISP pulls with random mail configurations doesn't result in lost email. Or at least, it's one fewer party in the crazy email configuration he relies on.
- Turns out, setting up SSL certificates for Apache isn't hard, but it's a crazy process. Doubly so if you're signing them yourself. (Which, by the way, seems like an odd thing to do. If the authentication certificate is signed by the same entity as is presenting the certificate to you, you probably shouldn't be any more convinced of its authenticity than you were to begin with. Like the kid turning in his report card signed "My Dad".)
- I was going to get some work done on Switch before the power went out. Since then I've been lazy. Well, working on Linux nonsense. Doesn't really count.
|Date:||June 27th, 2004 05:25 am (UTC)|| |
so the shenanigans (no relation to Cassie, sorry)
Hee! This made me giggle, thanks. :)
Cool. I usually avoid wordplay with people's names, but there you go.
|Date:||June 27th, 2004 07:05 am (UTC)|| |
still, coolest icon ever